All students will be expected to have achieved a full Level 3 qualification in a relevant subject area such as Health & Social Care, to HE Access Health Professions, Health and Social Care or Social Work, or 48 UCAS points (120 old tariff) from A Levels in a relevant subject, such as Health and Social Care, Psychology, Sociology & Social Policy (proof required).
All students will be expected to have GCSE Maths and English Language qualifications at grade C or above (grade 4 on new framework). Please note, the college reserves the right to accept evidence of working towards a maths qualification upon completion of a successful interview.
A minimum age of 18 years is a requirement.
Work placements are not mandatory, however it would be to your advantage to gain this experience.
Two references and a current enhanced DBS check are required if you plan to complete work experience (charges apply).
Successful completion of interview is required.
If you are interested in applying for the course, please apply via www.UCAS.com. Our institution code is H14 and the course code is L510.
On the BA Health & Social Care programme your study will be closely linked to your experience in the workplace. This is a classroom-based course incorporating a work placement.
You will study a selection of modules over the three years:
Level 4 Modules
- Academic and Study Skills 20 credits
- Health & Well-Being 20 credits
- Sociology and Psychology for Health & Social Care 20 credits
- Developing Across the Human Life Course 20 credits
- Equality and Inclusion 20 credits
- Work-Related Learning 1 20 credits
Level 5 Modules
- Care Values in Health & Social Care 20 credits
- Exploring Loss in Health & Social Care 20 credits
- Safeguarding Individuals in Health & Social Care 20 credits
- Legislation and Policy in Health & Social Care 20 credits
- Introduction to Research 20 credits
- Work-Related Learning 2 20 credits
Level 6 Modules
- Public Health: Critical Perspectives 30 credits
- Mental Health: Contemporary Issues 30 credits
- Leadership and Management in Health & Social Care 30 credits
- Major Project 30 credits
As a distinctly vocational qualification, the BA (Hons) provides knowledge, skills and professional attitudes associated with Health & Social Care. For full-time students, the course is studied over a period of three years. Attendance is one day per week, plus placement. The course will take place at our Ardleigh Green campus.
The BA (Hons) Health & Social Care is a three-year course validated by the Open University. The course explores a range of disciplines within the health and social care area and encourages students to develop their skills and knowledge in critical enquiry and independent study.
This programme provides a higher education progression opportunity for individuals aspiring to, or established in, a career in the vocational area of health and social care. It recognises your existing skills and interest in the sector and enables you to develop your ability to contribute to good practice, build on existing knowledge, and improve the personal qualities and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
All work completed for this qualification will need to link theory to practice and reflect the work of your setting. Havering Colleges, New City College is registered with the Office for Students.