Applied Biology is the understanding of how organisms work and how living organisms can produce useful products. Get answers to questions like, why blood is red, how to grow bacteria, and if chocolate is good for you. You will develop your knowledge and understanding of biological theories and build skills needed to effectively apply them in a future scientific career.
The course aims to give those with an interest in biological sciences the practical and theoretical skills to advance their career by developing technical competence through a number of hands-on activities and experiments.
Course Duration and Delivery Structure
The course duration is 2 years and the times/hours are: 2.5 days per week, 9pm - 5pm
What Will I Study?
You will be studying a range of six mandatory core units* and ten specialist units:
- -Cell Biology* (15 credits)
- -Biochemistry of Macromolecules and Metabolic Pathways* (15 credits)
- -Physiology of Cellular Systems in Animals* (15 credits)
- -Laboratory Techniques for Applied Biology* (15 credits)
- -Analysis of Scientific Data and Information* (15 credits)
- -Laboratory Management (15 credits)
- -Molecular Biology and Genetics (15 credits)
- -Project for Applied Science* (20 credits)
- -Infectious Diseases (15 credits)
- -The Immune Response System (15 credits)
- -Neurophysiology and Homeostatic Control of the Human Body (15 credits)
- -Human Health and Nutrition (15 credits)
- -Industrial Microbiology (15 credits)
- -Chemistry for Applied Biologists (15 credits)
- -Food Molecules, Additives and their Roles (15 credits)
- -Work-based Experience (15 credits)
To achieve the HND Diploma, students have to achieve 245 credits that are assessed as Pass, Merit or Distinction. You will learn how to approach your studies in terms of the different techniques needed to be a successful learner in higher education, including developing research and presentation skills. Individual tutorial support will allow you to meet with your Personal Tutor on a regular basis to discuss your progress. Your Personal Tutor will also guide you through the process of applying to university if you decide to further your studies at degree level.
Download the full course guide here
To see official information about this course and others visit DiscoverUni.