The Learning Zone provides drop-in support to students across the college’s entire provision. In the Learning Zone, there are Learning Mentors and Tutors to help students improve their study skills and complete their assignments.
- Specialist support in all taught subjects and at all levels.
- One-to-one support in agreement with subject tutors.
- GCSE workshops
- Skills assessments.
- An open-access drop-in space to use a PC and get support with your work
- Small group – reading, writing and spelling workshops
The following resources are available to students in the Learning Zone:
- Apple Macs
- Assistive technology for students with additional learning needs including:
- Ginger – helps with proofreading.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking – voice recognition software. Particularly suitable for students with dyslexia.
- Read and Write Gold – reads text aloud to users with literacy needs. Uses word prediction to speed up typing.
- Zoomtext – for partially sighted users
- MindView – helps you planning your work
- Lexia – develops your reading skills.
- Two adjustable desks, one magnifying lens, large font keyboards, several headphones, etc
- Course-related textbooks
- ESOL specific grammar books and resources, and a database of online interactive activities
- Dictionaries and thesauruses