Get Into Teaching

Do you want to get into teaching or develop your career as an educator?

Whether you’re ready to start your career in teaching, looking to further develop your practice or even just curious about the world of teaching, we have a pathway for you.

We have been preparing the next generation of teachers for many years and all our tutors are very experienced and skilled in sharing their knowledge and experience with their students. And, as part of your course, we’ll help to arrange a teaching placement with you.

We offer a flexible range of study options including full-time and part-time teaching courses at New City college.

You will benefit from small class sizes, 1:1 support and a mix with people with varied backgrounds and experience on your course.

Our courses integrate professional practice and exposure to help prepare you for classrooms of the future.

Teaching and Further Development

Explore our Education and Teacher Training courses at New City College.

Teaching Assistants

View our range of courses for Supporting Teaching and Learning.

We are really proud to work with the newly-formed NCC Teaching and Learning lab, which is leading in solution focused research, practice, learning & development​.

By taking a teacher training course at NCC you will be supported by teachers who are part of innovative projects linking educational research with new approaches in their own classrooms.

Find out more about The Teaching and Learning Lab and read blogs from our experts in education below.

Careers & Salaries

Careers in education and teacher training include:

Your Questions Answered

Thank you to everyone that joined our Get Into Teaching: Live Event!

Below are the answers to some of your questions from the evening. We will continue to update these but in the meantime, if you have any further questions please call our friendly advisors on 0330 135 9000 or email

  • Do I have to start from a Level 1 qualification to qualify for a Teaching Assistant role?

    The Level 1 course is appropriate for those who don’t have experience in working in primary schools and would like to learn more about the teaching assistant role. If you are already working in a school, even as a midday assistant, you can start from the Level 2 Teaching Assistant course.  

  • I Have a NVQ in Activity Leadership, how can I progress into teaching PE and school Sport courses?

    You will have to complete at least a Level 3 Certificate in Supporting the Delivery of Physical Education and School Sport to be able to work in a school. If you would like to become a PE teacher, you will need to complete a relevant degree and then follow one of the teaching training routes.  

  • Is the Further Education teaching pathway ideal for those wanting to teach A Levels?

    It is certainly one way of becoming an A level teacher, as some further education colleges (like New City College) have A level provision. Some people choose to do a secondary PGCE which means they are also qualified to teach in schools with 6th forms, and in 6th form colleges which are slightly different. Come to one of our open events and we can talk through your options. 

  • I'm not sure whether it's best to study the secondary school specific PGCE or the FE PGCE?

    If you want to work with learners aged 14+ in colleges like ours, and have the chance to teach adults as well as young people who have just left school then the FE PGCE gives you a wide range of options. However, if you want to keep your options open to work in schools as well then consider the secondary PGCE. You are qualified to work in FE colleges with a secondary PGCE. You are not qualified to work in schools with an FE PGCE, although there may be some exceptions (e.g. academy trusts) 

  • Most FE PGCEs don't come with qualified teaching status, how does that impact employment?

    You are fully qualified to work in FE without QTS. There is a further education version of QTS called QTLS accredited through the Society for Education and Training (SET). At New City College we support our staff to gain QTLS. 

  • I want to teach but I do not have a Maths GCSE. What would be your advice?

    Having GCSE maths is not essential to take our teacher training courses, but it is essential for getting QTLS once you complete the course, and also for some of the bursary funding that is available, so you should certainly take your GCSE at some point. In the meantime, come and talk to us about the Multiply courses which can help you with number skills for your career path, as well as about the best teacher training course for you. 

  • Are the teaching courses run in the evening or weekends?

    Our Level 3 Award in Education and Training course runs one morning a week or one evening a week. Our Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training course runs one evening a week

    We do not currently run any weekend courses, although we are considering this.