Despite the popular misconception that everyone speaks English, 75 per cent of the world's population do not, and as businesses are becoming increasingly international, there has never been such an important time in our history to learn a foreign language. You will develop your Spanish language skills to an advanced level whilst exploring cultural aspects of Spanish-speaking countries. There is an emphasis on giving you the grammatical understanding and the vocabulary to express and justify your own opinions in Spanish and to move away from memorising phrases.
This A Level Spanish qualification is studied over two years with all exams held at the end of the course. The subject provides students with a great way to learn about another culture whilst having fun at the same time. It is now estimated that Spanish is the third most important widely-spoken language, and by learning it you will not only improve your employability, but you will find a whole new range of possibilities and experiences at your fingertips.
You can expect to:
- Achieve effective communication in conversations
- Read and understand texts
- Write extended essays in Spanish
- Listen to and comprehend spoken language
- Study the key social and cultural aspects of Spain and South America
- Express ideas and opinions about key modern issues
- Study a film in the first year and a play in the second year
Spanish is studied with two or three other A Levels and goes well with most subjects but it combines particularly well with other languages such as French, or with History or English Literature.
To explore the specification further, please use the following link: