New City College University Centre

Achieving your higher education qualification at New City College is a really convenient alternative to university. Our qualifications are designed to give you the skills that put your knowledge to practical use and are highly valued by employers both in the UK and overseas.

Stay local, go far

Achieving your higher education qualification at New City College is a really convenient alternative to university.

New City College is the fourth largest college group in the UK, offering a diverse range of higher education courses. Our qualifications are designed to give you the skills that put your knowledge to practical use and are highly valued by employers both in the UK and overseas.

With smaller class sizes, NCC offers more one-to-one support and contact time with tutors, enabling tailored tuition to suit individual learning needs.

Our learning facilities are fantastic and easily accessible by car and public transport, providing a much cheaper and convenient alternative to university further afield.

For more information on higher education, check out one of our helpful guides:

  • What is Higher Education at NCC?

    Higher Education Overview

    New City College currently offers higher education courses at Levels 4, 5, 6 and 7. These include Higher National Certificates (HNCs), Higher National Diplomas (HNDs), Foundation degrees, Honours degrees (BA Hons) and Teacher Training qualifications. These qualifications will build your academic and practical knowledge so that you are able to progress to a career or to further study.

    HNDs, HNCs and Foundation degrees are vocational qualifications which have been created specifically for careers within particular industries or sectors. They are highly valued by employers both in the UK and overseas, and can also count towards membership of professional bodies and other employer organisations.

  • Why Choose Higher Education Courses at New City College?

    New City College is a local and convenient alternative to university and can work out much cheaper than going further from home to study.

    Why enrol with us?

    • Enter 2nd or 3rd year of a university degree
    • Fantastic learning facilities on campus
    • Small class sizes
    • One-to-one support and guidance
    • Easily accessible by car and public transport

    The college also offers a range of services for students which include:

    • Fully-licensed restaurants
    • On-site canteens selling hot and cold food
    • Costa Coffee and Starbucks outlets
    • Discounts available at the college’s Hair & Beauty Salons
    • On-site gyms
  • What is an HNC and an HND?

    Higher National Certificate and Diplomas (Levels 4 & 5)

    The college offers Pearson Higher National Certificates and Diplomas as they provide specialist work-related learning that reflects the requirements of employers and professional organisations and meet the National Occupational Standards for each sector or industry. HNCs and HNDs are mainly assessed through assignments, projects and practical tasks. The HNC is the first year of study and the HND is the second year of study – meaning a full HND is achieved in two years of full-time study.

    • HNDs are equivalent to the first two years of an Honours Degree (Level 5)
    • A practical approach that is highly valued by employers
    • Designed in collaboration with industry experts
    • HNDs can be converted to a full Honours Degree with further study
    • Internally assessed through assignments and practical tasks
    • Awarded by Pearson
  • Foundation Degrees

    What is a Foundation degree?

    • A Foundation degree is either a FdA (Foundation Arts) or FdSc (Foundation Science)
    • It is a 2-year course and the second year is equivalent to Level 5 study
    • To enrol on a Foundation degree you need to be either working already or have a work placement arranged
    • Foundation degrees are vocational qualifications designed for the workplace
    • You can top up a Foundation degree to Level 6 with an extra year of study at university
  • What is a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education?

    This course, known as a PGCE or PCET, is a Level 7 qualification especially for those wanting to become a teacher.

    You need to already hold an Honours degree and you will study alongside working on placement in an education setting.

    It can either be studied for one year full-time or two years part-time.

  • Certificate/Diploma in Education and Training

    Pearson Certificate/Diploma in Education and Training (Levels 4 & 5)

    These teacher training qualifications are one year full-time courses.

    • Professional qualifications for people teaching in further education colleges, adult education, and a wide range of other training and educational settings that are outside of the school sector
    • Provide a route to Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) status
    • Internally assessed through assignments, practical tasks and lesson observations
    • Not suitable for those who want to teach in schools
  • What is the Entry Criteria?

    Course Entry Checklist

    To qualify for one of our higher education courses you need to be:

    • Aged over 18 years
    • Have either a Level 3 qualification such as A Levels or a vocational qualification such as a BTEC or Access to Higher Education Diploma
    • Have relevant work experience in the field you want to study if you haven’t got a Level 3 qualification

    Non-native English speakers or those who have not studied the final two years of school in English should demonstrate capability in English at IELT 5.5 standard.

    Mature students with relevant knowledge and skills, demonstrating a commitment to the chosen subject will be considered.

  • How to Apply

    Applications to our full-time undergraduate courses should be made through UCAS.

    If you need financial support with the costs of your studies, please see Higher Education Financial Advice for up-to-date information and links to helpful government advice.


    Where there is an insufficient number of enrolments, the college reserves the right to close a course. If a course is discontinued, applicants holding offers will be informed as soon as possible, and where appropriate, will be offered a place on an alternative course by the college and/or supported by the Customer Service and IAG Team, to find alternative provision.

  • Financial Advice

    What help is available?

    There is a range of support available if you are concerned about financing your higher education studies.

    1. Student Loans

    Types of help for new full-time undergraduate higher education students include:

    • Tuition Fee Loans to cover the full cost of tuition fees
    • Maintenance Loans to cover living costs
    • Grants to cover living costs
    • Students can also get extra support if they have children or adult dependants, or a disability or a specific learning difficulty

    Find out more about student loans for higher education:

    Student Loans Company

    Gov UK

    Student Finance – How You Are Assessed

    Student Loan Advice for HNCs and HNDs

    Student Finance England


    • It is important that you apply for extra support e.g. Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) at the same time that you apply for a student loan – it may not be available once your course has started
    • You do not need a confirmed offer of a college place before you can apply for a student loan. Apply as early as possible to prevent delays to your application

    2. Self-Funding

    If you choose to pay any part of the fee yourself the college offers an instalment plan to allow you to stagger your payments by direct debit.

    3. Student Services

    If you require any help or advice applying for your student loan, please speak to our trained advisors on 0330 135 9000

    There is a College Higher Education Support Fund available for higher education. Please contact the Student Finance and Welfare Team for further information and details of eligibility if you are experiencing financial difficulties once you are enrolled.

    4. Independent Financial Advice

    It is important you consider your own circumstances and look into all options. You can access free independent financial advice from the Money Advice Service

  • NCC Cancellation Form & Terms and Conditions

Search by Subject Area

Browse all our higher education courses by subject area.

Advanced Learner Loan

An Advanced Learner Loan could help you pay for the costs of your study.

HE Student Loan

Student loans can include a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan to help with your living costs.

Policies and Procedures

Important Information and Policies For Higher Education Students

Access To HE

Are you 21+ and ready to go to University? Find out about our Access to Higher Education course now!