What are T Levels and how can they benefit me?

What are T Levels and how can they benefit me?
What are T Levels?

T Level is a new two-year vocational qualification which includes practical on-the-job training, meaning that students are ready for work at the end of the course. T Levels have been developed in collaboration with employers and education providers so that the criteria meets the requirements of businesses within the particular industry.

Students spend 80% of their time in the classroom learning the skills that are required for the job. The remaining 20% of time is spent completing a minimum 45-day industry placement, putting the skills from the classroom into action.

How are T Levels beneficial?

T Levels are beneficial because you will learn what a real career is like while you continue your studies and gain a qualification too. First-hand work experience can boost confidence as well as giving a real insight into what a certain job involves day-to-day.

The placements are mandatory and an essential part of each T Level. They give students a valuable opportunity to put learning from the classroom into practice, develop technical skills and provide the best possible chance for entering skilled employment at the end of the course.

Completing a T Level is more likely to lead to a job than some other qualifications because if an employer is impressed with a student on a work placement, they can offer a job at the end of the course.

Where can I apply for T Levels?

You can apply for T Level courses at New City College — but don’t make the mistake of thinking they are an easy option. T Levels are equivalent to 3 A Levels and require minimum grade entry requirements of at least 5 GCSEs at grades 9–4, including English and Maths. Requirements do vary between courses, so always check the website.

When did T Levels begin?

T Levels were launched by the Government in September 2020 at selected colleges and schools. Now they are available at many education providers and new subjects are being added yearly. Eventually, there will be something for everyone, from agriculture to catering and hairdressing to accounting. New City College have included T Level courses in the curriculum so that students can gain a more hands-on experience within their chosen subject.

What T Levels are available at NCC?

Currently the T Levels available at New City College are Education & Childcare; Digital Production Design & Development; Engineering & Manufacturing: Maintenance and Repair; Engineering & Manufacturing: Process and Control; Business Administration & Management; Legal Services; and Health. Check the website to find out which campus offers which subject.

How will T Levels be graded?

Students who complete their T Level get a nationally recognised certificate which shows their overall grade and a breakdown of what they have achieved. The certificate includes an overall grade shown as Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* as well as a separate grade for the core component, using A* to E and a separate grade for each occupational specialism, shown as Pass, Merit or Distinction.

The certificate also confirms that the student has completed the Industry Placement and met any additional mandatory requirements.

Are T Levels recognised by employers?

Yes! The qualification was developed in collaboration with business experts and leading employers, so they are very much recognised in industry. In fact some employers will prefer them over A Levels because of the work placement element.

Can a T Level get you into university?

Because a T Level is equivalent to three A Levels and holds UCAS points, many universities are accepting them for entry onto a higher education course. You can find a list of higher education institutions who accept T Levels for entry onto one of their courses on the Government website.